Wednesday, May 7, 2008

:: Just In Time For Four Days Of Rain ::

March 11th: the day I joked that sewing this quilt would bring spring. I didn't tell you that I wouldn't finish it for nearly two months (oh my god, really?! has it been that long?!) and that of course spring would be here by then.

It's kind of ironic that I finished the quilt this morning and had to rush Evan outside for our little photo shoot because a storm was on its way. So much for bringing us nice, sunny weather. The poor quilt was blowing every which way but, well, the way I wanted it to, and Evan wasn't helping much by crawling off of it to see doggies and rocks and whatever other exciting! things! were outside in the yard.

This is what I consider the front. It's the part of the quilt that I actually planned and the side I think turned out best.



It's about a quarter light blue, then that colorful strip, then the rest is navy.



The back is the more "exciting side" and also the most labor-intensive side. It came about because I wanted to sew a wider strip for the back but I wasn't sure how I wanted the back to look, exactly, so I just kept sewing strips because I loved them so much and eventually I just decided to make a very colorful, very strippy back.



Each of the colored rectangles measures 4" by 2". The whole quilt measures about 56" square.



I was surprised that Evan liked it, but he seemed to. I think he liked it best when it was blowing over on him or when we made a small fort with it.

I wish the pics of the actual quilt were a bit better, but I know there'll be more as the spring turns into summer and we spend longer and longer days outdoors.

Here's to optimism and to my very! first! quilt! ever!

6 comments:

mom May 8, 2008 at 4:55 AM  

I have seen the quilt in person, and the pictures don't do it any justice. It is really beautiful, colorful, and expertly made! Great job, J!

Maria May 8, 2008 at 6:05 AM  

love it! very nice! :)

Julie May 8, 2008 at 6:35 AM  

I agree with mom. In fact, after all was said and done, I didn't even want to post pics because I think it looks so much better in person than in pictures. But after all my hullabaloo over the last two months, how could I NOT post pics, eh?

She might be a bit generous with the "expertly made" part, though. The quilting is a bit wonky in places and I had to rip out several (like, a LOT) of quilting before I get into a groove.

I should work up a little post on how to quilt a big-ish quilt in a very small space because I definitely learned a lot and none of it was in my quilt books or on the quilting websites (they all presume you've got this giant house with all these wide open tables and floors and these nice sewing rooms and all).

Christina May 8, 2008 at 11:29 AM  

You'll have to bring it to the park next time so I can see it in person. It looks lovely in the pictures, though!

a pinkroom May 8, 2008 at 6:35 PM  

It is be-eou-tiful! You are a goddess of the sewing machine.

Julie May 9, 2008 at 2:33 AM  

Well THAT might be a bit of an exaggeration. But I kind of like it. Should I have t-shirts made: goddess of the sewing machine? I guess I'd have to sew the shirts myself for real goddess status. So how 'bout no.