Saturday, December 15, 2007

:: Mothermade ::

You wouldn’t be able to tell by looking (unless, gulp, you stepped into our bedroom, which is an insane, insane disaster), but it has been a veritable Christmas factory around Christmas Stockingshere lately. We’ve (so sadly) foregone the tree and all Christmas decorations (we put all that stuff in storage back when we were putting our condo on the market in August), but I have been sewing my little head off in preparation for what is one of my top five favorite days of the year. Each day while Evan naps mommy works diligently in the bedroom sewing ornaments, dolls, purses, tote bags, pin cushions. It’s been really fun but also quite possibly certifiably nuts.


I’m headed for a loony bin for sure.


Especially without any elves to help. Santa gets elves.


Between the crazy Christmas sewing (and knitting! don’t forget the knitting!) and Evan’s still-not-through teeth and Brian’s equally crazy work schedule, these past two weeks have been a bit too much for me to handle. I’m a bit worn down. Tired. Blogging less, getting less exercise. Not taking very good care of myself.


Some people do silly things like forgetting to eat when they're busy. I could never, ever forget to eat, so you don't have to worry about that.


The up side is that I’ve got a pile of adorable things on my bed right now, all ready to go. I have two tiny little things to finish (all sewn, they just need the finishing touches) and then I’m DONE.


Um. Almost.


I still want to make Evan a stocking. My mom made mine when I was a kid and I still have it. My sister’s is mothermade. My mom still has the one her mother made for her. Basically, handmade stockings are a tradition in my family and I want Evan to have one, too. It won’t take long, except for one little thing: I have no idea what to make. Here are some I kind of like, but I’m not sure any one of them is just right.


Anything cute out there that I haven’t seen yet?

4 comments:

juliepippert December 16, 2007 at 5:57 AM  

Those knit scarves that look like animals, like a scarf giraffe with giraffe face on the end...have you seen those? Maybe a cute stocking like that, where the open end is the mouth? My kids would get a HUGE kick out of that. LOL

Take better care of yourself!

And people who forget to eat? I don't understand that AT ALL.

Julie
Using My Words

motherofbun December 16, 2007 at 3:12 PM  

I LOVe the term you've coined -- mothermade. Awww.

And what a cool tradition. Way cool!

Christina December 16, 2007 at 5:18 PM  

I don't believe that people can forget to eat. I can forget a lot of stuff, but eating? Never.

That's great that you have so much done! I have the beginnings of a scarf sitting in my lap, and I'm hoping to make some progress on it tonight. I wish I had more time to sew gifts.

Have you seen the pattern for cloth blocks for babies? I've thought about trying that one.

McSwain December 16, 2007 at 7:55 PM  

Mother-made with love (or by anyone with love) stockings are the best. Mine was knitted for me for my first Christmas, one month after my birth, by one of those ubiquitous church grandmas. I wasn't able to get My Boy's done by his first Christmas, but in time for his second I'd made him a beautiful counted cross stitch future heirloom. His 7-yr-old stocking hangs next to my 43-year old stocking now. Getting those silly things out of the cedar chest is one of my favorite Christmas traditions. Make something beautiful, and I hope you'll post a picture!