Saturday, May 1, 2010

:: capital c creative, capital b business ::



you know what? i know i’m not supposed to admit that i sit here on a saturday night thinking about money, but i do.

i know the whole reason i ditched the ph.d. gig and started this shop and created this life and all was that i needed a creative outlet.

but creative outlet i’ve got. and so yeah, now i’m trying to figure out how to make this creative outlet a more lucrative outlet. to make it support my family so that we can be more creative together. to make it possible for my husband – if he wants to – to choose his own path.

and furthermore: there’s something extremely creative about growing a brand. if it were just a love for money that drove businesses then there would be an awful lot of super successful businesses out there. i’ve got to admit, there’s something exciting and thrilling about the whole business side of running a creative business.

and yes, i sit here on saturday night thinking about that side of it.

but what’s fun about running my own creative business is that i’m 100% allowed to consider my gut. as financial data sends me in one direction and i feel myself resisting, i’m totally allowed to say, “but i want to do it a different way, even if that’s not the cheapest way.” and that’s okay. that’s just another challenge. a business challenge and a creative one.

all my thinkiness lately is about the business side of things. i want to be more creative business-ly, and in order to do that i want to feel like my work is more coherent. i’m happy with so much of the work i do – pleased with how it has turned out and also pleased by the act of creating it – that i really feel like there are a good number of possible routes to take.



i sit here on saturday night trying to figure out which route feels right, which one is going to take me where i want to go, and which one is the most exciting for other people. i sit here trying to decide which route is the most sustainable and allows me to have the healthiest life. i try to figure out which one is going to give me the most creative bang for my buck.

and then i doodle. and lie on the couch on my belly with my chin propped on my hubby’s thigh while he types. and eat chocolate chip cookies. and then, only sometimes, i blog about it all.

happy saturday night, all.

4 comments:

Anne Keane May 3, 2010 at 11:45 AM  

luckily my husband helps to provide some financial direction to my wild creative thoughts. to me having a sustainable jewelry business is like winning the lottery. for now, like you, saturday nights are filled with the tough questions...and chocolate chip cookies.

wish you the best, and thanks for the great reads in your blog!

nichole May 4, 2010 at 11:13 PM  

Okay, seriously? You need to fontify your handwriting!

Gorgeous. I love to write, and seeing your scribbles made me swoon. Beautiful!

Good luck with all the decisions!

Bravehearted Beauty {formerly LLH Designs} May 5, 2010 at 11:52 AM  

You all caps question [BUY A PRINTER OR OUTSOURCE?] jumps out at me. I love being independent and small, but I'm always asking the outsource question. I own four printers. Allows me superior quality control, the joy of "hand-on-ness, fast turnaround, more of the profit, but boy...it can run me ragged during my busy Christmas season! I'm planning to interview some "real" printers this summer.

I enjoyed your post!
Linsey

Bravehearted Beauty {formerly LLH Designs} May 5, 2010 at 11:52 AM  

You all caps question [BUY A PRINTER OR OUTSOURCE?] jumps out at me. I love being independent and small, but I'm always asking the outsource question. I own four printers. Allows me superior quality control, the joy of "hand-on-ness, fast turnaround, more of the profit, but boy...it can run me ragged during my busy Christmas season! I'm planning to interview some "real" printers this summer.

I enjoyed your post!
Linsey