Wednesday, July 15, 2009

:: sugar and... ::




a day late and not exactly perfected yet, here's my contribution to the word.play project for this month.



i wanted to do something a little bit outside my usual repertoire, and something i could work on while evan was playing outside, so i decided to hand carve this ampersand stamp.



i carved it from that rubber stuff they sell next to the linoleum blocks in art stores. much much easier to carve but in the end i think i'll probably end up remaking my stamp in real linoleum because the rubber is so bendable it makes it impossible to get a reliable print.



i made 8 or so prints and each one turned out so different. i don't mind a little noise in my print but some of these are kind of ridiculous.



anyway, the original plan was to make this cream and sugar piece, but then i got babies on the brain and went ahead and experimented with a print for a little girl's room: sugar and spice and everything nice. since only the ampersand is a print and the rest is hard written by me, i can make a boy one, too, if i want to (snip, snails, puppy dog tails).



actually the sky's the limit.



what a fun little project. a nice diversion from my to do list. so who's on for some more word.play next month?

4 comments:

lisa ridgeon July 15, 2009 at 10:14 AM  

Me, me! I'm ready for more word.play! What's the word? :o)

I love what you've done with the stamp. My favorite is the first picture where the words curve around the '&'.

Unknown July 15, 2009 at 11:03 AM  

fantastic! I'd love to see more:)
ps. the rubber blocks work well when the ink is super tacky, let it sit in the air for a while and set up and see if this helps ( i learned this the hard way with fabric)

cheers!

Pretty Neat Designs July 15, 2009 at 4:16 PM  

So nice! I too like the first one where the words curve.

zoetropa July 16, 2009 at 1:09 PM  

Really Cute Ampersand!!

I bought carving blocks like the one you used and they crumbled too easily for me. I recommend using a plastic eraser/carving block (like Staedtler Master Carve). They are stiffer therefore making a cleaner look. :) Pam