Monday, June 8, 2009

:: :: word play begins :: ::

okay. here's the deal with word.play.

over the next week i'll be collecting suggestions for words. leave them in the comments on this post. then on june 15th i'll choose a word (out of a bag? out of my mind? we'll see.) and i'll announce it here. then you've got a month to come up with a project inspired by the word.

your project can be anything. it can be a sewing project or an illustration or a poem. it just needs to be something that gets the creative juices flowing. something that gets you working just a little bit outside your comfort zone, maybe. something you can share with others to help spread the inspiration.

'cause oh yeah. i'm going to set up a flickr group so we can all share our work.

i'm super excited about this.

(p.s. you can grab ths button here and put it on your website if you want to help spread the word. just right click or do whatever you do on macs, then save it and upload it to your site with a link to this post. 'kay? once the flickr group is up you can have it link to the group if you want.)

16 comments:

lesley [smidgebox] June 8, 2009 at 10:37 PM  

great idea, what a fun way to gain inspiration. my word is evolve. i'm thinking alot lately of how my work will do just that over the coming season, it has me contemplating my next line of goods.

Art Wall Katie June 8, 2009 at 11:31 PM  

Neat project. My word is Vertical. Not sure why, it just popped into my head.

linda June 9, 2009 at 3:21 AM  

Ooo - love games! My word is expiry!

Pretty Neat Designs June 9, 2009 at 7:20 AM  

This sounds like fun! My word is fancy.

Unknown June 9, 2009 at 8:09 AM  

cool. i'll choose a word from these and any others i receive by june 15th and we can use that for june/july. i suppose that if you want to use your own word, that's cool, too, but i'd love it if a lot of us used the same word.

zoetropa June 9, 2009 at 8:20 AM  

hey there! this sounds like a cool project. I've looked through my sketchbook for inspiration and have decided on the word: PIE

Big Blue Eyes Press June 9, 2009 at 9:17 AM  

My word is "coffee"

Jennifer June 9, 2009 at 10:15 AM  

Love words and love games that lead to inspiration!

My word is: SUGAR

cindy June 9, 2009 at 11:44 AM  

mmm words, i could eat them up plain.

my word contribution is: flight

Rachel June 9, 2009 at 12:43 PM  

I'd like to play too! My word suggestion is "warm"

lisa ridgeon June 9, 2009 at 5:11 PM  

I love the idea of wordplay and would like to join in. I can't think of a word tho. I really like Cindy's 'flight' and can't seem to think of anything else.

Caitlin June 10, 2009 at 1:03 AM  

Sounds like fun! Hmmm, I'll go with "cornucopia".

sweetly lovely afternoon June 10, 2009 at 6:30 PM  

I found your wonderful blog through meplusmoll.blogspot.com. I'm so glad I did, too. I like this game.

My word is insouciant.

Unknown June 10, 2009 at 10:52 PM  

whoa. some awesome and crazy words here so far. keep 'em coming, folks.

Art Wall Katie June 11, 2009 at 10:11 AM  

I thought of a new word: stripe--because I love them.

Brooke June 13, 2009 at 1:31 AM  

I am stuck on "swing". :-)