it's not that i forgot to post pictures of these finished little beauties. it's that i wanted to post them with a little semi-tutorial on how i altered the original tutorial here and doing that would require making another one, and even though i finished all three of these in just over an hour total, i just haven't had the time.
anyway here's what i did: i used french seams on the inside of the bag and, with the exception of the first one i made (the butterflies), i skipped the gusset on the bottom. i just like these bags better as nice flat bags.
i did the french seams (see quick note at end) because i wanted to keep the insides of the bags all nice, but it did cause a small problem when it came to making the drawstring channel. if i make these again i will probably just serge the inside seams to keep 'em neat and avoid the channel problem.
i've been using them to carry around snacks (chocolate-dipped granola bars and a tub of cherries on thursday night for house hunting), shoes (for a canal walk that actually got canceled anyway), sewing stuff (for craft night with my new mommy group). they're essentially all-purpose, and since i made three sizes they really are all purpose.
(quickly, french seams work like this:
- sew your fabric together with WRONG SIDES together. trim seam allowance to 1/8 inch or as close as you can get without cutting the seam.
- press seam to ONE SIDE (don't press open)
- turn so WRONG SIDES ARE TOGETHER like you usually sew and sew a new seam, this one at about 1/2 inches.
i'm sure there are tutorials out there. i'll save my time for dreaming up what i'm going to do with this month's word.play theme (which is sugar).)