Tuesday, May 26, 2009

:: Aaand, Now I'm a Joiner ::

i can't decide if i always thought i would join a mom's group or if i never thought i would in a million years. i mean, i'm not really a joiner except at the same time i'm not great at meeting people unless i join some sort of formal group.

joining a mom's group seems so suburban of me. so sorority girl grown up. (which yeah, okay, i was a sorority girl (i had trouble meeting people in college, too) and i suppose i am grown up now.) it seems sort of sad in a sort of "gee i can't make any friends by myself without joining a club" even as i realize that this is how most people make friends by themselves. work. teams. groups. clubs.

all of which is to say that i joined a mommy group today.

evan and i were at the playground this morning and a swarm of similarly-aged boys (with moms in tow) were there at the same time. i discovered that there's a mom's group consisting of moms with kids all born around the same time as ev.

when we got home he told me he had "paid" with the "boy-ees" and i decided that he probably needs this as much as i do. wish us luck and friends.

3 comments:

Victoria May 27, 2009 at 8:06 AM  

I am not much of a joiner either, but I joined a mom's group back when my youngest was 1 and it saved my sanity!

Penny Glass Girl May 27, 2009 at 8:12 AM  

Moms groups can be rewarding! Good Luck. Eight years ago, when my son was just 12 days old, I joined a group run by our city for new Moms.

12 out of 14 of us are still friends who meet reqularly and our families are so intertwinned I can't tell who belongs to who sometimes. I was never a "joiner" but I am thankful I did that time.

bettylws June 5, 2009 at 6:53 PM  

I'm glad you joined and hope to get to know you better. I love your site and it brings back old creative thoughts that have been lost to mommy brain.