Thursday, July 31, 2008

:: :: colorful time filler :: ::

Somewhere along the road between Ohio and Rochester a few weeks ago, riding shotgun in my mom’s car, I decided that it would be a good idea for me to have a little “getting through my postpartum depression” project. And I decided that it would be a quilt.

While I was home, I picked out the fabric one afternoon with my sister when she was, remarkably, not working. (She currently works two jobs totaling 60-70 hours per week!)

And so this week, my first full week back here in Columbus, I started. Evan’s in daycare all week and I’m still trying to figure out my day-to-day life. So I sewed. And sewed. And sewed.

I can’t say that I’m totally loving spending all my mornings quilting. Honestly, it’s a pretty tedious process. Cut, sew, iron, sew, iron, arrange, stack, square-up, sew, iron, align, sew… you get the picture. And we’re not even talking about making the sandwich, pin basting, marking the quilting lines, doing the quilting, and binding the final product.

The quilt I’m making has 110 6″ squares, each made from four triangle pieces. It’s a pain in the ear, frankly. (Why not the ear, right? Why always the bum?)

But it’s a way to pass the time and it keeps me off the couch.

Plus at the end I’ll have a pretty new park quilt. So there’s that.