Wednesday, March 19, 2008

:: Lots. And Lots. Of Pleats. ::

When I was new at sewing, not like kid-new but grown-up-sewing new, I avoided anything that seemed too complicated. A very cool pair of pants with a waistband and belt loops became an almost as cool but decidedly low-rise pair of waistbandless pants with facing (facing that my mother did for me because she said I had to finish the top of the pants somehow). Bags went unlined, seams unpressed.

Now, I find pleasure in the things that take time, like adding bias tape to trim kids' clothes. Tying a gazillion french knots for a dress-up apron, hand-embroidering a bag for a child. This week, I'm working on a skirt:

Pleats

A skirt with lots and lots of pleats.

More pics when it's done.

3 comments:

mom March 19, 2008 at 4:58 PM  

I'm very impressed :-) And, I love that fabric, even the backside of it! Can't wait to see the finished project.

Aubrey March 19, 2008 at 7:13 PM  

I love that you kept the G in your closet, hidden, for months. I absolutely love that.
I have decided to take Tim's name. It has caused me to pause and really think about who I am. Is the feminist from high school still in me? I have decided yes, she is, she just doesn't feel that keeping the last name from her childhood at all equates to womans rights.

McSwain March 19, 2008 at 8:00 PM  

I'm liking that. Please model when finished. :)