Friday, February 22, 2008

:: French Knots ::

French Knots

Tying hundreds of itty bitty knots may have seemed a bit crazy when I first proposed it for this apron, but I just knew it was going to be so cool in the end.

As I've mentioned before, I'm participating in an apron swap whose theme is "Spring." I drew all these little sketches of ideas for the apron: a white apron with orange umbrellas printed on it all modern-like; a light blue apron with a blossoming cherry tree on it, sort of Japanese cartoon-style; a nice, happy, yellow apron not unlike my sunshine bag from a few weeks back. But when I went to the store for fabric and inspiration, the only thing calling to me was brown cotton.

Brown.

For a spring apron.

"Hmm," I thought. "Flowers grow out of brown dirt." Yeah. Sure. Justification for buying brown cotton for my Spring apron swap. Whatever. But then the idea of all these little knots came to me and suddenly, I was off and running.

The apron's due by March 1st, so I'll post the finished version next week when it's all done. Suffice it to say this hasn't been one of those one-nap aprons like the others I've posted.

2 comments:

Addie February 25, 2008 at 3:19 AM  

I better get moving on my spring apron for the swap.... looks like mine IS going to have to be a one-nap apron since we're getting down to the wire here!!

Christina February 25, 2008 at 7:18 PM  

You have the patience of a saint. I hate French knots. If they don't look just right, I get frustrated and cut them out.