Wednesday, May 19, 2010

:: eco weakness ::



i'm being interviewed by liz from cosa verde (i'll post when it goes live so you can run on over there and read it) and so i've got eco-friendliness on the brain right now. all that thinking brought up a strange question:

what's my eco-weakness?

for sure mine's the peanut butter jar. yes, it's recyclable. yes, it's empty. yes, i could wash it and recycle it. but i hate the smell of wet peanut butter. so i throw it away. i recycle every other bit of stuff that's allowed in the curbside recycling bin. i save electronics for the town's electronic recycling day. i stockpile bottles and cans and return them to the grocery store when there are just enough to fill up my entire station wagon. but the peanut butter jar gets tossed.

with the amount of water it takes to properly clean a peanut butter jar i might actually be doing the more ecologically responsible thing anyway. but that's an issue for someone else to sort out.

but now i'm curious:

what's your eco-weakness?

4 comments:

Anonymous May 19, 2010 at 9:04 AM  

Paper towels :(

Cricket May 19, 2010 at 8:58 PM  

Cans that got put in the fridge and have moldy sludge in them. Ugh.

I've got peanut butter whipped, though. Use a scraper, like you would with brownie batter. You wouldn't carelessly wash a brownie down the drain, would you? Don't throw your peanut butter away either. Use the scraper, spread it on that brownie and toss it in the recycle bin with a clean conscience.

nichole May 20, 2010 at 8:33 PM  

Ha! We share an eco-weakness.

I can't stand to wash out the peanut butter jar. Oil and water are just not friends, right? And it's a oily, messy, stinky pain to clean.

So funny. I thought it was just me.

Sheila July 8, 2010 at 2:25 AM  

Ladies, I thought it was just me as well! Scrape as I may, I can't ever seem to do a sufficient job to feel that no washing is necessary. I recycle/reuse everything else in sight, so I now just screw the lid back on and smile that I don't have to smell that yucky wet peanut butter smell. :)