Wednesday, November 11, 2009

:: by me for me ::

i sat knitting in my psychologists's office the other day. when he came out he asked, a little surprised, "you're a knitter?" and the thing is, apparently now i am. there's something about knitting (and, incidentally, watching crime shows (CSI, law and order, without a trace)) that soothes my anxiety and depression like nothing else. who knows. something about the rhythm, the way it requires concentration but also allows me to zone out. i used to find knitting stressful but this recent brain-hormone-mess-whatever has taken me and knitting to some new place.

so anyway, the newest thing on my needles isn't for the baby. it's not a christmas gift. it's a present for me. i'm calling it the flat belly sweater because it's a sweater for me for after the baby's born. not that my belly will be flat right away, but it won't be basketballish anymore, and that will be nice.

very nice.

i was 12 inches into this sweater last week when i had to rip it all out. the pattern is designed with negative ease (meaning the finished garment for your size will actually be smaller than your actual measurements so that it will be fitted) and i'm okay with the fitted look but i decided that right after the baby's born i might want something with a little more room. so now i'm almost back to where i was. i hope to have it done by thanksgiving. when it's done i'll post pics, although i won't be modeling it for awhile.

3 comments:

Anonymous November 11, 2009 at 11:34 AM  

I have also started knitting recently, in an attempt to ease the depression.. right now, I'm at the same stage that you were at before.. I find it stressful. I'm determined to make it work though :)

Unknown November 11, 2009 at 1:15 PM  

i find that knitting on circular needles helps a lot because you can really get into a rhythm. basically you just knit and knit and knit and knit. you never have to turn your work. it's awesome.

but knitting plain old scarves helped me get good enough at knitting to find even tougher patterns relaxing.

ashley November 11, 2009 at 3:57 PM  

i am a pretty new knitter (couple months) and i love it! it has also helped me with depression and anxiety. it's amazing that it is so relaxing in that way. :)