:: super simple peach crisp ::
crisps are, in my mind, the world's easiest things to bake from scratch. the ingredients needn't be precise and you can experiment with fruit combinations and other additions.
the first night we cooked in our new house i made this one from peaches brian's aunt had left during the move and some blueberries from our new neighbors.
here's the recipe, more or less:
- fruit: washed, peeled, and sliced if applicable (most recipe'll tell you to use 5-6 cups of your desired fruit. i seldom have quite so much fruit on hand so i just use a small square pan (8x8) and fill it as much as possible. it really doesn't matter too much.) i used four peaches and a small handful of bluebs.
- 1tbsp brown sugar
- 1tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (if you have it... i didn't have it the other night when i made this one so i left it out)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- up to a tsp cinnamon if desired
- about 4 tbsp chilled butter, chopped into small pieces
TO MAKE IT:
- mix together the first 4 ingredients and put in the pan (i usually grease the pan just in case)
- mix together everything else, using a pastry cutter or two knives to cut in the butter
- sprinkle over the fruit mixture in the pan. this is where you need to use your judgment. if you didn't have a lot of fruit, you probably don't want to overdo it on the crumb topping, so go easy here.
(be on the lookout for apple crisps in my near future. it's so nice to be back in new york in autumn!)