Friday, May 15, 2009

:: :: divulgence friday :: ::

can i admit some things?

1. i'm not really enjoying writing each penny pretty as much as i hoped i would. i feel very constrained by my own commitment to writing about affordable art and design. i find gorgeous things i'd rather write about but they're too expensive. too out of reach for anyone i know. plus it takes so damned much time to keep up with. i'm not sure my birthday present is the kind that's going to keep on giving. at least not in the way i had hoped.

2. i really really miss my sewing machine. it's still here, don't get me wrong. but it's in the (cold, dark, lonely) basement. and i don't have any house projects to work on because i don't have a house yet. and plus i have my hands full with (a) evan, (b) my growing business, and (c) all the progesterone coursing through my body (my obie-gynie - that's what we call her in my family, who knows why - says progesterone is a sedating hormone and BOY OH BOY is she right). it all adds up to a dusty sewing machine. it's so sad.

3. i've got a new shop in the works. it may be awhile but i'm going to open up my own shop at my own personal URL. i'll keep the etsy shop and they'll have the same things in them more or less, but if i hope to grow the business and get more exposure, it's really important that i have my own shop.

4. i am trying to be all zen about it but i feel like my whole body is swelling right now. the best word to describe my boobs lately is pendulous. it's like i've got two water balloons suspended by just their ties and they're all swingy and heavy. unlike water balloons, though, they hurt, too. and of course every time i see my swingy pendulum-boobs, I go down this whole mental path that includes the complete destruction of my body and its replacement with a whole lot of big marshmallows stuck together in the sort-of shape of a woman. it's not a good path to go down.

okay. enough admitting for now.

feel free (no, actually, i encourage you) to share your own admissions in the comments. you can go anonymous if you really want to. it could be all post secret.

6 comments:

Big Blue Eyes Press May 15, 2009 at 2:39 PM  

I really like each pretty penny - keep at it. Can you set 5 posts to publish throughout one week so you can take a break from it, then come back? The fact that you started EPP inspired me to start Big Blue Eyes Press. I turn 30 in August, and knew I wanted to do something.

Unknown May 15, 2009 at 2:42 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown May 15, 2009 at 2:42 PM  

that's what i do now. i write all my posts on the weekend and set them to publish throughout the week. i started the other way (writing daily) and it was harder that way, but this way is still super time consuming.

we'll see how it goes...

alix May 15, 2009 at 5:22 PM  

I'm a new fan of both your blogs and I have to say I always marvel when I discover that someone has TWO blogs to maintain. EPP is such a lovely idea but truthfully do whatever feels right for you.

As an aside, I hear ya on the crazy mortgage. I live in the Bay Area and half a mill is pretty "average" these days. I mean half a million always astounds me. Shouldn't my house come with a butler and a pony???

happy friday.
: )
alex

Bea May 16, 2009 at 2:50 PM  

Now I'm curious about the unaffordable design ideas you've been wanting to write about. It seems to me there's always a way to make it affordable - maybe it could be a more interactive post where you solicit ideas from readers about how to do something like THIS affordably?

Bea May 16, 2009 at 2:51 PM  

OR - you could do an "Indulgence Friday" post each week with the stuff that wasn't affordable enough for Monday-Thursday. After all, what's the point of saving our pennies if we can't splurge now and then?