Wednesday, January 28, 2009

:: :: feelgood :: ::



so... this is something i've been working on for awhile and i'm so excited that it's finally ready for public consumption.

it's a customizable feelgood list.

deep in the throes of postpartum depression, when it felt like I would never get better ever again, i made myself a list. therapy was okay; my journal helped; brian was great. but I needed to go at that thing with every possible weapon in the feel-good arsenal.

i read all the literature on depression; i researched neurochemistry as best i could. And then I sat down and listed every single thing i could think of that might help me feel better. things my doctors had told me (like do some vigorous exercise three times a week); things i knew about myself (like read a book). i wrote them all down.

and then i started checking them off.

i never once got the whole thing checked off in a week, but working at it and seeing how much effort i was putting into my recovery made it start to feel like, well, recovery.

now that i’m better i see that it’s not really a recovery list so much as a life list. it’s like my own best advice to myself. my own little reminder to be kind to myself, to make myself a priority, and to take time to stay healthy so that i don’t slide back down the dreaded, dreaded hill.

so now i'm offering them up for sale in my shop. i figure, the shop is a direct result of my depression. plus, i know there are so many other folks out in the world who need a little feelgood in their days.

the deal is this: you buy, i email you a form to fill out and send back to me, i make your list, you get the final pdf file to print as many times as you’d like. forever.

the thing is, i need your help to get the word out about this. there's nothing else like it on etsy and i don't think that the people who need it most will just happen to stumble upon it because they probably won't know they're looking for it. so tell your friends, eh? write about it on your blog?

stop by the shop and check it out?

6 comments:

Anonymous January 28, 2009 at 11:55 PM  

Oh my goodness, Julie-- I LOVE this. It's something I've "tried" to do in random ways, but never so perfectly put together -- you could sell these to therapists. I see a whole new line coming soon :) . I will definitely spread the word and am going to your shop right now! This is wonderful!!

Anonymous January 29, 2009 at 12:29 AM  

brilliant. BRILLIANT.

Unknown January 29, 2009 at 7:02 AM  

thanks, guys! how nice to wake up to such a positive response.

now i have to go make myself shower. damn life list! : )

Anonymous January 30, 2009 at 3:56 PM  

Great idea!

dharmamama January 31, 2009 at 4:34 PM  

This is Beautiful!! What a great idea.

Amanda Mae February 17, 2009 at 3:59 PM  

Brilliant idea. Inspiring. You're right, its a life list. Glad it helped you through some hard times.

ps.. love your blog and shop