Wednesday, March 12, 2008

:: Take a Ticket To My House ::

the title is an homage to The Nields, one of my favorite little folk bands from when I was a kid

In my alternate fantasy life, I live within walking distance of a sweet little cafe and a nice, busy-yet-peaceful park. And I go to the park each day with Evan. And I am always dressed like this (especially the first one), even in winter (it's a fantasy world, people):

Skirts from Orangyporangy

I write notes to friends instead of emails, or maybe in addition because I still kind of like email, and I always use letterpress stationary or notecards. In fact, even though in my fantasy life I actually own my own vintage letterpress and make my own things, I still often use these by 12fifteen, at etsy) because they're so lovely:

Letterpress Cards from 12Fifteen at Etsy

I meet friends for lunch several days a week and people just drop by my house in the afternoon to say hello. Sometimes, we all walk together with our kids and pets and all and we get ice cream or go to thrift stores where we always find the coolest things supercheap, like cool mugs and quilts and stuff like this:

Thrifted Finds
1. Untitled, 2. thrifted mugs, 3. sat 1 mar, 4. GE, 5. Fire King!, 6. Franciscan Dishes

Also, I take beautiful photographs like the lovely ones above (which I did not take -- follow the links to see who did) and my house is sunny and I make money in some creative way, which is to say that I create things of some kind and people pay me. My hair is redder so that no one ever says to me, "Where does your son get his red hair?" and then follows that up with, "Your hair is almost red."

Tuna with Bacon-Stuffed Mushrooms

And Brian cooks dinner every night. (I stole this from my real life because it's good enough to keep in my fantasy life.) But we never use paper napkins that cost 99 cents for 250 of 'em. Instead we use napkins I made from the vintage sheets I thrifted with my supercool thrifty friends.

Oh yeah. One more thing: we have a pool.

8 comments:

McSwain March 12, 2008 at 6:10 PM  

Your husband cooks dinner? I am so far beyond jealous I can barely type.

Don't tell me he made the dinner you've pictured here. That might be too much for my heart to take.

jo March 13, 2008 at 5:59 AM  

there is nothing like a fantasy life :)

Julie March 13, 2008 at 7:25 AM  

McS: Yeah. He actually finds cooking relaxing, which is SO not how I find cooking. But hey, go with it, right? I think it might be the reason I married him. And he did cook that meal pictured: seared tuna with bacon-stuffed mushrooms. But that was a special occasion dinner. Last night was just burgers, peas, and fries. Ore-Ida fries. : )

Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah March 13, 2008 at 8:12 AM  

In mine I play bridge and drink bloody mary's with my friends while my kids play quietly downstairs.

And someone else cleans my house.

Aaaahhhh. I love you fantasy life.

Christina March 13, 2008 at 9:55 AM  

I love your fantasy life. In mine, my husband would still cook dinner, but it would be more like the picture above and less Hamburger Helper. Ugh.

In my fantasy life someone would definitely clean my house, and my girls would be perfectly dressed in cute linen frocks. I'd spend my days writing (like now, only getting paid a lot more to do it!), sewing, and taking the girls to the park. I'd meet up with other mom friends and we'd watch our kids play well together.

And I'd get to take a shower every single day.

Stefani March 13, 2008 at 1:42 PM  

Oh my and big sigh.

Can we be fantasy neighbors, because I really REALLY love your fantasy world :-)

Amanda March 15, 2008 at 2:54 AM  

I'd come and live in your fantasy life! Sounds like mine, except I can see the sea and my pretty, but slightly wild cottage garden, from my bedroom window.... ;-)

melissa@yummygoods March 17, 2008 at 3:48 AM  

hey! I love that my photos are in your fantasy life!
My hun cooks, too. He knows he'd better, otherwise it's cereal for dinner.