Saturday, March 22, 2008

:: Easy Like Friday Afternoon ::

Evan at the Window


There are quiet days around here and loud ones.  Yesterday was definitely a quiet one.  My boy, who started crawling last week and really hasn’t stopped moving since he learned to roll over back in October, spent the late afternoon just sitting. 


It started with some play time with mommy at one of those big toys that has multiple games and activities and all.  But he was less interested in it than usual.  Really all he wanted was to play with this one blue ball, which he eventually took with him all the way across the room to the back window where he just sat.  And sat.  And sat.


For more than fifteen minutes, his little feet pressed against the sliding door’s floor track, Evan just watched, silently, out the window, leaning forward every few minutes to press his forehead against the cold glass.  I was afraid to say a word, afraid to move.


Later, when I helped him stand, he continued his vigil.  He stood all by himself, hands up against the window in you’re under arrest pose, and just watched.


Today, I expect, will be quite different.  We’re off to our friend Ben’s first birthday party where there will be babies and small hyper dogs and people and sugar and wonderful fun.  I suspect it won’t be quiet at all.

4 comments:

motherofbun March 22, 2008 at 8:00 PM  

Oh that photo makes me long to rub his sweet little back and sniff his sweet little head!

So very cute. Hope you both had fun at the party!

Dharmamama March 23, 2008 at 5:00 AM  

Oh, so sweet. I used to long for those days, when we had space and time to just BE, with whatever was around us. My oldest, when he was a toddler, would spend hours (some days, literally, hours) at this huge puddle in the woods behind our house that only dried up in the middle of our scorching summer. Just sitting and watching, sometimes sticking a stick in, sometimes throwing rocks in. I've done everything I can to create our lives so anyone that wants can have that kind of time. It's so fundamental a need, just BEing. Evan was grokking the world outside the window, big time. Thanks for sharing those moments. You just reminded me to breathe!

Rebecca March 23, 2008 at 11:03 AM  

Oh, that picture made me want a baby.

Christina March 23, 2008 at 5:19 PM  

I love that picture. Now I wish we had a window that was low enough for Mira to see out of. We went on a stroller walk today, and Mira was silent and still as she took in everything around her. Once inside, though, she returned to her normal non-stop and chatty self.