Tuesday, January 29, 2008

:: Julie Twelve ::

fontifier sheet

I have never been a particularly nicknameable person. I don't know what it is about me but no one ever has nicknames for me. Brian doesn't call me anything except Julie. My mom calls me J sometimes and one friend calls me Jules, but other than that, I'm pretty much always just plain Julie.

It's fine. Really. I swear it has never bothered me. Okay, well there were two years when I was editor of the school newspaper and every single other person on staff had a nickname. I begged, pleaded, and people tried, but nothing ever stuck.

Years later, I was working as a desk girl at a gym and one of my jobs was to write the monthly gym passes. One guy who attended the gym frequently took to calling me Julie Twelve because he thought my handwriting looked like a font in Word. That one never really caught on either except with him, but occasionally I throw it out as a random tidbit when yet another person tells me they can't believe my handwriting.

So... did you know that you really can create a font from your own handwriting? There are several companies out there that either do this for you or sell you software to do it yourself. The only one I've found that lets you preview the font before buying is Fontifier. I tried it tonight (waiting for Brian to get home from a late night at work) and it's not great with a Sharpie (the letters are too fat and fuzzy) and I would definitely want to give it a few more tries before purchasing (it's hard not to have the letters all look a bit sterile when you're writing them individually in small boxes instead of in the context of actual words), but I think I would totally be willing to spend $9 to have a font of my own handwriting if I could get it closer to looking like the real thing.

Neat, huh?

(Note: the above image is of the template you fill out and scan in. Then you upload it and it gives you a preview of your font by showing you some sentences and stuff. I took a screen shot of that for you but then I lost it somewhere on my computer and so this is all you get -- the template I filled out. So sorry. It's still my handwriting, though, so there's that.)

6 comments:

Christina January 29, 2008 at 4:11 PM  

Neat. I can see how that could be a lot of fun.

That wouldn't be useful for me, though. Well, unless someone was interested in reading handwriting that makes a doctor's scribbling look good.

mom in law January 29, 2008 at 5:37 PM  

You are the only person I know that I would like to steal the handwriting from!
And......I love all your creative projects!

slouching mom January 29, 2008 at 7:13 PM  

That's pretty cool. I'm not sure I'd want to inflict my handwriting on too many people, though.

Sarah is not a name that allows nicknames. I've always been rather disappointed about that.

And I like Jules.

Dharmamama January 31, 2008 at 1:49 PM  

How 'bout Poopsie GerbilTush? Sorry - it's from a Captain Underpants book.

http://www.scholastic.com/captainunderpants/namechanger.htm (wait 'til the form comes up in pop-up window after you click "start")

Based on the name Julie Twelve, which I know isn't your real name, but it's what I had to go on. I do what I can.

Hey! They've changed it! Mine used to be Buttercup PottyWaffleBottom (hyphenated name) - they got rid of the bottom! And changed it to humperdink?! How moronic. Guessing there was public outcry about the word "bottom". Bottom, bottom, bottom. So there. Oh, wait. This is your blog, not the Scholastic site.

Ben's Mama February 6, 2008 at 11:45 AM  

eh hegm (me... clearing my throat)... 'Yoga Julie' has stuck with me, pretty much my entire family and K's family - that's how they know you...So when I talk about Julie they are like - "ah yeah, Yoga Julie" - btw - the apron is so cute. I feel like Mrs. Cleaver back in the day - mini bulleting stew for my babe and kissing the hub when he comes home from work.

Free Handwriting Fonts « Letter9 May 14, 2008 at 4:01 PM  

[...] a while back, I wrote about how you can have a font made from your own handwriting for just $9. Well, now I’ve found a place where you can (possibly) have it done for free (assuming your [...]