Monday, January 7, 2008

:: In Which My Flannel Goes Bad ::



Does it ever happen to you that you get some fabric (I don't know, I guess if you cook or something you can insert "ingredients" for "fabric") and you love it so much and then you make whatever you were going to make and you see it all done in front of you and you hate it?

My project this weekend (1 hours Saturday, 2 hours this morning) was this lap blanket for the basement. In honor of Evan beginning part-time daycare this week and me getting back to the dissertation grindstone, I've been sprucing up my workspace. I went on a little splurge at the Container Store and bought all kinds of organize-y stuff and I went to Joann's and got some fabric for a lap blanket. I searched and searched and searched and suddenly, angels sang and cool rays of fluorescent light enveloped me and I saw it: the perfect fabric. Flannel, so it would be warm. Colorful, so it would be, um, colorful. Pretty, so it would be just mine mine mine. I loved the pattern, somehow both modern and sort of vintage at the same time, and I loved the magentas, greens, and blues.

The lady at the cutting table was slightly jealous. She kept telling me over and over how much she liked it, and how well it would go with the blue flannel I'd chosen for the back. I basked in her praise like a minivan-driving parent with a middle schooler on the honor roll. I wrapped myself in it and wore it home -- her praise, not the flannel. When I got home I pulled out my purchases all slow and seductive-like to show them to the hub who oh-so-kindly oohed and aahed. He knows me well.

So then there was cutting, squaring, measuring, pinning. The usual sewing stuff. There was clipping and trimming and turning and handsewing. Ditto. Then there was machine quilting, a new excursion for me. And then there was a blanket. All finished. All soft.

I laid it out for photos and something about seeing it all, I don't know, splayed out I guess, it was just garish. Awful. My pretty flannel looked all busy and yellow-toned and horrible. Why did you turn on me, flannel?

Why?

8 comments:

juliepippert January 7, 2008 at 6:26 PM  

Oh...are you sure?? Garish? Maybe you just need to get used to it.

(LOL at basking in praise like a minivan-driving parent of a kid on the honor roll. The older my kids get the more I see the point to celebrating the victories...although take me out back if I ever put a sticker on the back of my car.)

Christina January 7, 2008 at 7:17 PM  

Maybe you've looked at it too long through the sewing process? Whenever I'm working on a major project, I find myself sick of the pattern on the fabric by the end, and have to put it away for a few days.

Let's see the final product!

Janet January 8, 2008 at 6:14 AM  

It could be a TV show: When Flannel Goes Bad!

I'm sorry that you didn't like it, in the end. Perhaps it will grow on you?

a pinkroom January 8, 2008 at 12:56 PM  

PS - I can't actually see it because something is wrong with my computer and the picture is not showing up.

a pinkroom January 8, 2008 at 12:56 PM  

Maybe it's like when you are cooking and you spend so much time with the ingredients, chopping, simmering, etc...that when you sit down to eat, it just isn't as satisfying. Like when someone else makes a salad, it is always better. Maybe you should make the husband wrap it up and give it you as a present in a week. Surprise you with it. It might look different then.

Julie January 8, 2008 at 4:23 PM  

a.p. -- that's actually a pretty good idea! i suspect that if hub gave this blanket to me, i'd probably LOVE it and think, "oh, lucky me, my husband knows me so well and got me this really pretty and useful blanket."

HA!

Toni January 10, 2008 at 7:26 PM  

Uhm, no comment.

Blog Quiz « Letter9 January 14, 2008 at 4:32 PM  

[...] flannel blanket, boxed and wrapped and waiting for me on the table (a la this [...]