Sunday, January 20, 2008

:: Dog-phews and Jowls ::

Hudson

I do not have jowls. I do not have jowls. I repeat: I do not have jowls.

I am also not freaked out that one day I will have jowls. Just so we're clear on this and I don't get all this "oh, you should love your body" and "you totally don't have jowls" crap reassurance from you folks.

Because that is totally not what this post is about. This post is about how every once in a while, we catch glimpses of the tiny, itty bitty ways our bodies change every single day. It's like how I once heard someone say that if you photograph your baby every day for the first year, you will actually be able to observe the subtle changes.

Yesterday, looking at my profile in the mirror to see if my ponytail was OK (my sister will back me up on this -- we both believe that there is a spot on your head where a ponytail should never go -- it needs to be higher than this spot or lower but it cannot sit on this spot, and the spot is slightly different for every person), I noticed just the slightest change in my jawline. Hell, maybe it happened weeks ago and not on Friday night as I like to think it did, but yesterday it was there and the last time I looked, it wasn't.

It wasn't a jowl or anything. It was the future site of a jowl, if a jowl ever grows. Does that even make sense?

Have you noticed things like this about yourself?

(pictured above: Hudson, my dog-phew (your sibling's dog (or your sister-in-law's dog, in my case)). He's got jowls a-plenty.)

8 comments:

hub January 20, 2008 at 4:11 PM  

Well, hon, I know where you're coming from, but i have to disagree about your relation to Hudson. According to the table of dogsanguinity Hudson is not your dog-phew, but is, rather, your 1st dog once removed.

motherofbun January 20, 2008 at 7:33 PM  

Can SO RELATE TO THIS POST! I did that recently too. I looked in the mirror and thought, "Holy hell! Am I getting jowls?" Then I went out and bought a bunch of firming creams and ate a bunch of chocolate -- you know, for mental medicinal purposes.

But yes, completely understand.

Oh and that pup is the most beautiful dog! Awwww. (That's the ONLY time jowls look cute -- when they are on a DOG, yes?)

Dharmamama January 21, 2008 at 4:25 AM  

Yes! Totally! And it happened seemingly overnight. A friend and I were laughing because we had both been in our respective bathrooms on the same day, going "Oh no!" and pushing the skin of our cheekbones up, looking to see what it would be like if we got a facelift. Not that we'd get facelifts, it was sorta... Hmmm... my skin is *here*, but it used to be *here*. lol

Not to be pithy, but... a smile lessens the impact. Thich Nhat Hanh has a smiling practice, which I always forget to do - but keeping a smile on raises that skin somewhat. I don't know if it counts if it's through clenched teeth.

Rebecca January 21, 2008 at 8:15 AM  

I have jowls. And a double chin. If you ever want to know why I only post winsome, looking-up pictures of myself, it is less because of the winsome and more because of the jowls. I keep thinking they'll go, that I'll wake up one day and have my face back.
Wah.

Addie January 21, 2008 at 10:13 AM  

Hi! Thanks for your comment about my bag. The stitching is red- I basically copied it from the photo in the book. I left out the bottom facing in the bag, so it is a little slouchier than I would like. I'd love to see the one you make for yourself!!

mommystory January 21, 2008 at 10:53 AM  

Oh yeah, I know exactly what you're talking about. I have watched the little lines that are around my eyes when I smile slowly stick around longer and longer after the smile ends. Some are now permanent. And the skin over my eyes is ever-so-slowly sagging downwards.

(Adorable puppy, too! Boxer? Part boxer?)

Dharmamama January 21, 2008 at 11:48 AM  

Oh - and when I saw the title of this post, I thought it was going to do with doggy gas.

On my mind because our lab/boxer mix ate 3/4 of a loaf of bread yesterday and I was exposed to the results of that all night. Dog-phew indeed!

Janet January 21, 2008 at 5:25 PM  

Every day, sistah. Every day.