Monday, December 3, 2007

:: Melted Ghirardelli Chocolate Chips Are A Beautiful Thing, But Not As Beautiful As A Letter That Begins "I Am Pleased" ::

You know what, Internet? It kind of hurts my feelings that you didn't think I would get it. You were all, "No news must be bad news" and "I bet the people who won it heard by now and they're just letting it sink in slowly for the losers without actually telling them."

Yeah, well you can bite me, Internet, because guess what?

I GOT THE FREAKING FELLOWSHIP. HA! Eat it.

Wait. Wait, don't go away. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I know you had every reason to think I wouldn't get it. I didn't get a summer fellowship, got passed over for the Presidential in the spring. I didn't win best graduate student paper at any of the conferences I've attended. I got two "revise and resubmit" letters from journals I submitted articles to. I've been a big fat loser for the last few years and what with all my whining and complaining about the dissertation here you were probably right to doubt me.

Honestly, I didn't think I was going to get it, either. So I'm pretty happy.

Although...

You know, getting it's not all roses and puppies. Because now? Now I have to put my kid in daycare mornings and write my goddamned dissertation. Every silver cloud has a black lining, or at least that's what the hub says.

But tonight we're eating sushi and chocolate-covered strawberries and pretending that the dissertation part doesn't exist. Ooh, and maybe some chocolate-covered bananas. Chocolate-covered chocolate?

11 comments:

bubandpie December 3, 2007 at 4:41 PM  

Hooray! Congratulations.

genevieve December 3, 2007 at 6:06 PM  

Congrats! I am so happy for you! Maybe you can find someone wonderful who actually likes children to watch him while you write :o)

Anne December 3, 2007 at 10:54 PM  

1. Congrats, again! (I'm so glad I got to be the first to congratulate you!)
2. You have most assuredly NOT been a loser these past few years, so don't even think it. You must erase all such thoughts. You are a wonderful friend, you've become a stellar wife, an incredible pregnant woman, a beautiful and loving mother, and now you get to write the best dissertation ever.
3. I heard how much money you people get--holy smokes! Daycare, indeed. Of course, you deserve every last penny of it.
4. Now I need to learn all of your secrets, so that I, too, can enjoy the bounty and wealth that is a fellowship...

Amanda December 4, 2007 at 6:01 AM  

Unlike the Internet, I totally knew you'd get it. Congrats!

juliepippert December 4, 2007 at 6:53 AM  

WAY TO GO! Congratulations!!

Julie
Using My Words

Christina December 4, 2007 at 7:06 AM  

Congrats! That's awesome! I'm assuming it has a very nice monetary award if daycare isn't a problem.

Enjoy that chocolate! (and chocolate covered chocolate sounds divine)

a pinkroom December 4, 2007 at 11:59 AM  

Well, hot damn, girl.

Janet December 6, 2007 at 5:33 AM  

Awesome. Well, except for the 'writing it' part. Congratulations!

Tere December 7, 2007 at 6:12 AM  

YAY!

Toni December 7, 2007 at 6:05 PM  

Yea, you!!

This Morning « Letter9 December 17, 2007 at 3:19 PM  

[...] have to. Ohio and I will have to find a way to work together because I have to get this thing done. The money lasts 12 months and so 12 months is the timeline. The goal. The light at the end of the tunnel; the [...]