Wednesday, August 8, 2007

:: Sleep: A Haiku ::

Writing haiku reminds me of nothing more than eighth grade English class with Mr. Burruto. He was that teacher you have who transforms your way of being just by challenging you to go beyond your supposed limits. He had us read Shakespeare, write poetry. Not just kid poetry, either, but grown up poetry. Real forms, real thoughts. I still have my poetry portfolio from that year.

That was the year I learned about haiku, a Japanese form of poetry that adheres to strict form: one line of five syllables, one line of seven, one line of five.

So when I read about the My Mommy's Place Haiku Buckaroo contest, I just couldn't help but throw my hat into the ring (although I think that Sister and Mom at This Simple Life should win, hands down).

Here it is, in four haiku stanzas.

Sleep: A HaikuI leave you to cry
just a tiny helpless boy
learning to find sleep.

With a clean diaper
and a fully little belly
I leave you to cry.

Today it’s seven
the magic crying number.
And then you’re asleep.

I know that others
might think me cruel to leave you.
Tiny helpless boy.

If you want to participate in the contest, see the original post here at My Mommy's Place. She's got the full instructions there.

5 comments:

Leslie August 8, 2007 at 10:22 AM  

Wonderful haiku! I love them! Thanks for entering.

elaine August 8, 2007 at 12:56 PM  

These are very nice.

Julie Pippert August 9, 2007 at 6:44 AM  

I really respect a good haiku...can't manage it myself so I am manque. :)

Very cool haiku and GL with the contest!

Julie
Ravin' Picture Maven

dana August 9, 2007 at 11:49 AM  

Your haikus are great!

Toni August 9, 2007 at 7:07 PM  

Such kind words you wrote
of Sister and Mom. Thank you.
To baby: Sweet dreams.

It's a difficult thing getting babies to sleep. Hard on babies and hard on mommies too. I am pleased that (at least from your haiku) your chosen method seems to be working out for you. If I may, I'd like to offer one piece of advice that I wish someone had told me. No one method works all the time nor for all babies. Trust your instincts.
As with all advice, take it or leave it. New mamas get so much advice, don't they? :)

Good luck with your haiku.