Friday, September 1, 2006

:: Now Hiring: Hobbies Needed To Work Flexible Hours ::

It's a very strange thing when your favorite hobbies become your job. Sure, it's pretty much everyone's dream come true. But it also necessitates a complete reconceptualization of the self. If my job is now reading, writing, even thinking, then what do I do to relax? And, if my job isn't tied to a clock or even to a particular location, then when do I relax? Even more: How can I tell when what I'm doing is work and when it's fun?

Lately, the only things I know for sure are both hobby and relaxation are athletic things: running, riding my bike, playing tennis. Even taking walks, because I often do that to work through an idea, has become this strange hybrid activity. I still love taking walks, but if I were a lawyer I could bill those hours.

Oddly, housework has become a strangely un-work-related activity and in ONLY that sense borders on hobby (minus enjoyment and a desire to do it). Don't get me wrong: I still don't do much of it. But it has come to feel like a break from work. I think Donna Reed would probably short-circuit if she heard me say that.

Watching TV has also potentially become a "hobby" of mine, which I never imagined possible. Somewhat thankfully, I just don't have the attention span, the devotion, or the physical ability to sit that long in front of the TV, but it is decidedly NOT work-related nor cleaning-related, and so offers a nice change. Plus, I have always been drawn to stories and to the creation of characters and story worlds. So there's a natural fit there.

But basically, I am currently looking. Hobbies, please send your resumes my way as I am currently interviewing for an immediately available position. Ideally, I'd like to hire two hobbies for a time-share position with flexible hours. Compensation commensurate with experience. (Oh, this metaphor has disintegrated into meaninglessness...)