Tuesday, December 5, 2006

:: From Embryo To Fetus ::

So, the big news around Blacklick is that Brian and I are expecting our first baby. It's taken me a little while to get used to even writing that, let alone actually speaking the words "I'm pregnant," but we're actually really excited.

Right now, I'm in my 11th week, which means the embryo is now a fetus and pretty much all of its organs have developed. Now, baby just needs 29 to 30 more weeks to grow and develop before entering the wide open world.

Yeah, that's right. Pregnancy is 40 weeks, which is really ten months. They don't tell you that. Plus, mine is projected to be almost 41 weeks because baby was measuring small at the first ultrasound. Anyone who's noticed the size of my head or wrists will not be surprised that something that's half me would be measuring small, so no need to worry that baby's not growing normally or anything. Doctor says baby is great.


So to answer the big questions, I'm feeling mostly fine. I get really sleepy in the afternoons and need to take these wonderful pregnant naps. Plus I get hormone migraines (read raging headaches) most afternoons and evenings. As for us, we may or may not decide to find out if baby is a boy or a girl. No, we haven't thought about names yet. Oh, and yes, my stomach is growing but it's not really noticeable yet to people who don't stare at it every night in the mirror. We measure it every Monday night and it has grown 3 1/4 inches so far. I did have to buy a couple of pairs of pants one size too big to get me through until I'm forced to wear those hideous maternity pants.

Baby's due July 4th, 2007. Brian and I are both really hoping that he/she comes on his/her due date because we think it would be unpeakably cool to have fireworks for your birthday every year. In fact, if I can find a way to get fireworks instated on March 24th of each year, I think I'll do that.

Anyway, we'll keep you posted as new things happen. YIPPEE!